Make a deliciously smoky side for a BBQ. Use any combination of flame-kissed veggies, then brush and toss with this easy parsley and basil vinaigrette.
Prune your AeroGarden basil and parsley for the vinaigrette.
How to harvest basil
How to harvest parsley
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large red onion, peeled and root end trimmed slightly, leaving end intact
- 1 1/2-pound eggplant, halved crosswise, then cut lengthwise into 1"-thick strips
- 1 large bell pepper - Grown in your AeroGarden
- 4-5 mixed green and yellow zucchini
- 2 tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh basil
- Four 12" skewers, soaked in water for 30 minutes if wooden.
Whisk together garlic, 2/3rds of the herbs, vinegar, oil, salt and pepper in a large bowl, then set aside 2/3 of vinaigrette for brushing.
Halve onion lengthwise and cut halves lengthwise into 1/2"-wide wedges. Thread 1/2" apart onto skewers (to hold layers together). Brush onion and eggplant with some of the reserved vinaigrette.
Oil grill rack, grill peppers, onions and eggplant, turning occasionally with tongs, until onion and eggplant are very tender, 6-10 minutes; transfer to a large rimmed baking sheet. Continue to grill pepper, turning it until skin is blackened, 1-2 minutes longer. Put pepper in a deep bowl and cover with a plate, then let stand while grilling remaining vegetables.
Quarter zucchini lengthwise and brush them and tomatoes with reserved vinaigrette. Grill, turning tomatoes less frequently than zucchini, until tomatoes are just blistered, about 3 minutes; transfer to baking sheet. Continue to grill zucchini, turning, until just tender, 1-3 minutes longer.
Peel pepper and thinly slice flesh. Cut tomatoes into wedges and chop remaining vegetables. Add to bowl of vinaigrette along with remaining herbs and salt to taste, tossing to coat.