Light and fluffy plus rich and creamy, with just a hint of garlic, thyme, and tangy sour cream = the mashed potatoes of our dreams.
YIELD: 4-6 servings
- 2 pounds potatoes, peeled, cut into 2" pieces (Suggest Yukon Gold)
- 3 large garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 tablespoon salt, plus or minus
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- 2-4 fresh thyme sprigs - Grown in your AeroGarden
- 1 stick (half cup) butter, divided + additional 1 tbsp.
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus or minus
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- In large pot cover potatoes, garlic, and 1/2 Tbsp. salt with cold water. Bring to a low boil, then reduce heat and simmer (do not boil) until potatoes are very tender when pierced but not falling apart, 20–25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat milk, thyme, and butter in a small pot over medium, stirring, until butter is melted. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Drain the potatoes and garlic, then return to the pot and toss over low heat until moisture evaporates, 1–2 minutes. Using potato ricer or food mill, immediately press potatoes and garlic into a large bowl (do not let cool).
- Discard thyme from milk mixture and gradually stir into potatoes. Season with salt and pepper, then fold in the sour cream and stir with a spoon until incorporated and very smooth. Do not over mix or potatoes will become gummy!
- Taste and adjust seasonings. Serve topped with remaining 1 Tbsp. butter and more pepper.