The beauty of stuffing is its adaptability. It can be almost endlessly enhanced. Use one of the variations offered with your fresh AeroGarden herbs, or experiment to create your own specialty.
Who else is ready for Thanksgiving?
- 1 stick - (8 tbs) unsalted butter
- 2 medium onions, 1/4-inch dice
- 6 stalks celery - slivered
- 1 (14-ounce) package seasoned bread stuffing mix
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley, grown in your AeroGarden
- 3-4 chopped fresh sage leaves, grown in your AeroGarden
- 2-3 sprigs fresh rosemary & thyme or 1/2 tsp dried
- 1 teaspoon celery salt,
- 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper
- 1 1/4 cups hot chicken or turkey stock, plus 1/2 cup more if baking all of stuffing outside of turkey
- Heat butter in a 12-inch skillet over moderate heat, until melted. Stir in onion & celery, cover, and cook until soft, 15 - 20 minutes.
- Transfer to a large bowl and add stuffing mix plus the, celery salt, parsley, sage, rosemary, thyme, salt, and pepper. Stir in 1 1/4 cups hot chicken or turkey stock.
- If stuffing turkey: Use immediately to fill cavities and spread remainder in baking dish.
- If baking as side dish: Preheat oven to 350°F and butter a casserole baking dish. Transfer stuffing to dish and drizzle with remaining 1/2 cup hot stock. Cover with aluminum foil and bake until heated through, about 30 minutes. Uncover and bake until top is slightly crisp and golden, about 10 minutes.
- Optional Additions:
- Italian Sausage
- Dried Apricot and Pecans
- Dried cranberries or raisins