If you're looking for an easy side dish to go with your Thanksgiving dinner, consider this crispy, rich and creamy Savory Bread Pudding. With this recipe you get a new take on bread pudding and stuffing, all rolled into one amazing dish. Bonus, you can use those AeroGarden grown herbs to make it that much more unique and homely.
- 10 Cups (approximately 1 large loaf) day-old bread (challah or French bread), cubed
- 1/2 Cup Fresh AeroGarden Grown Parsley, chopped
- 1/4 Cup Fresh AeroGarden Grown Sage, chopped
- 2 Tbsp Fresh AeroGarden Thyme, chopped
- 4 Tbsp Salted Butter, plus some for greasing the dish
- 4 Stalks Celery, finely chopped
- 3 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1 Large Bunch Scallions, finely chopped
- 6 Large Eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 Cups Chicken Stock
- 2 Cups Heavy Cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Combine bread with parsley, sage and thyme in a large bowl.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat and add the garlic and celery with a pinch of salt and cook until the celery is tender - about 10 minutes.
- Add in the scallions and cook until tender but still bright green about 5 minutes.
- Pour mixture into the bowl of bread and mix - allow to cool.
- Preheat oven to 325°F and butter a 3-quart round baking dish (2" deep) or 9"x13" baking dish.
- Whisk together eggs, chicken stock and heavy cream plus 2 tsp of salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour the egg mixture over the bread mixture and toss until the bread is evenly soaked.
- Transfer to the prepared baking dish and press down the bread in the corners to make sure it's all evenly covered with liquid and dot the top with butter. Make sure to not fill your dish to the top, the bread will rise a good amount.
- Bake uncovered for 1 hour, until top puffs and center is set. (At this point, if making ahead cover and refrigerate until you're ready to bake. Remove from the fridge 1 hr 1/2 before baking.)
Customize your own Seed Pod Kit with Herbs you love!